Challenging Disposal Repair Houston
If your garbage disposal requires repair you are likely to know it right away. Perhaps the switch won’t turn on or you have to reset it every time you use it. However, other times it isn’t so cut and dried. For example, if there is a bad smell coming from the disposal, you may be able to get rid of it with the right ingredients.
Tip: Let the hot and cold water run in intervals or dispose of citrus fruits to see if you can get rid of the smell yourself. If you tried everything and the odor persists, you could need disposal repair Houston.
Clearing a Jammed Garbage Disposal
Sometimes, it is easy to do quick fixes. If your garbage disposal is jammed, try this.
- Unplug the unit.
- Hit the reset button on the bottom of the disposal to try and free it up.
- If something is jammed, try using pliers or tongs to get it out. Never use your fingers.
If this doesn’t work, it be might to time to call a professional to take care of the disposal repair Houston.
How to Dispose of Food While Disposal is Being Repaired
If you have had a garbage disposal for a long time, you might even forget what’s it’s like to properly dispose of perishable food products. When throwing away leftovers or spoiled food, remember to put them in a bag and ensure that it is sealed properly. Leaving open food containers in the trash not only causes odor issues, it can invite insects and other pests into your home. With your garbage disposal not working, the last thing you need is unwanted rodents or insects that will be hard to get rid of.
Tips for Survival without a Garbage Disposal
This is the perfect time to check out local restaurants to avoid dishes and leftovers that could further compromise your garbage disposal. Of course, you should avoid ordering too much and bringing leftovers home unless you are sure you will eat them later.
Things to Never Put down the Garbage Disposal
- Bones. They’ll just keep spinning around and around with the blades
- Celery. The fibrous strings tend to tangle around your disposal’s blades
- Coffee grounds turn into a sludgy mess in the disposal
- Egg shells get stuck in the shredder
- Fruit pits dull the blades and can break your unit
- Grease can clog up the disposal and cause a bad odor
- Pasta can clump up and break the disposal.
- Potato peels can wreak the same havoc as pasta and coffee grounds.
It is helpful to know that you can avoid many issues. Yet, at some point you will need a garbage disposal service to fix your existing unit or install a new one. Select someone you can trust and know can do the job.